Monday 9 July 2012

(Spo-Wo) Statues of Snowflakes (V.1.00)

It's hard to get these onto a page, sometimes. Hopefully I'll record some soon.


Statues of Snowflakes


The campus catchphrases are painted into the ground.
It's a clever trick used by the University, you see
the majority of the student population walks with their head down.
I remember the first time I was surveyed by the cement
a simple square of green and blue asking me "where are you going from here?"
Now, the first idea to tickle my mind was natural and literal.
From here, I would go into a building and sit at a table and learn
about John Ruskin's ideas about the rustic, what cannot possibly be artistic
attempts at stimulating the human brain.
But after that class I searched every wall, floor and ceiling.
No one seemed to care where I had come from.
Kitimat, British Columbia. The end of the road, quite literally.
If Vancouver is the moist, inner thigh of British Columbia then I'd say
Kitimat is that toe that got frostbite when you went on that camping trip
It's a blip but don't forget to count it.
My hometown sports a statue at its entrance that says "Welcome to Kitimat".
A statue of a snowflake.
That's right. Welcome to Kitimat.There is nothing unique about this place.
We've even got the snowflakes figured out.
But I'm less interested in where I'm going and more in where I came from
because one traveller's deadsville is another poet's pallet town.
I set out determined to catch all the eyes I could find
make a dictionary out of reactions and prove that this classroom structure means nothing.
Under the shade of Kitimat's stifling branches I went insane, feeding my video game
membranes until I could add up all the binary that these teachers spewed and spit back
Twos against their ones and zeroes until I was a small-time hero.
Where I came from taught me that the sometimes,
the most important thing you can learn from a guy like Ruskin
is that the attractive, intelligent young lady a few rows back is a good kisser,
and doesn't that stimulate the human brain?
So whether you come from the moist inner thigh of BC or its frozen toes, remember that we're all one giant leg up
on those who'd stick their noses into the business known as the forseeable future.
and this limb has a terrible case of gangreen and we can spread until we infest every student body imaginable,
t.ear down these statues of snowflakes and let each voice count itself among a chorus
Where am I going from here? I don't know, but I sure won't forget how I got there.

1 comment:

  1. There! ...you are now favorited in my new folder, Writing!

    ReplyDelete